Russian President Vladimir Putin has claimed that at least 5,000 people have died on both sides of the Azerbaijan-Armenia conflict. He said in a meeting on Thursday that he was in daily contact with both countries. According to a report by the British news agency Reuters.
The independent administration of Nagorno-Karbakh has reported the casualties in the war. According to their figures, as of Thursday, 84 soldiers and 38 civilians had died in Nagorno-Karbakh. Azerbaijan says 71 civilians have been killed. However, there were no reports of the army dying on their behalf. Armenia said a few days ago that more than a thousand people were killed in the war.
Putin says at least 5,000 people have died so far. The death toll is increasing. Because both countries do not want to accept the ceasefire. Rising casualties on both sides are increasing rapidly. More than 2,000 people have died on each side. he said.
The old conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan on the Nagorno-Karbakh region resumed on 26 September. Hundreds of people have already died in the conflict. Russia has so far tried to mediate the conflict. However, the fighting did not stop after a ceasefire agreement was signed between Moscow and Armenia on the initiative of Moscow.
In such a situation, the United States has taken the initiative to negotiate with arbitration. Armenia and Azerbaijan said on Tuesday (October 20) that their foreign minister would meet US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in Washington on Friday (October 23) to try to end the fighting. Pompeo is scheduled to hold separate meetings with the foreign ministers of the two countries. It was not immediately clear whether the Armenian and Azri Foreign Ministers would meet separately. The State Department did not immediately return calls seeking comment.
A new ceasefire was implemented at midnight on Saturday (October 17), mediating by Russia after the first round of ceasefire failed. But Armenia and Azerbaijan have also accused each other of ceasefire violations.