8 killed in police protest in Colombia

Columbia has been shaken to death by police custody of a 48-year-old man accused of violating coronovirus restrictions. The protests that started on Wednesday also continued on Thursday. The country’s defense minister said that at least seven people were killed and more than 150 injured in the protests and violence.

Colombia has been subject to severe sanctions since late March due to coronavirus. About six months later, 15 days earlier, the stiffness was slightly relaxed. Police arrested Javier Humberto Ordóñez on Wednesday morning on charges of violation of sanctions. As seen in the video posted by a friend who was with him, police grabbed him by the knee and Ordonaz, the father of two, shouted that his throat was closing and he was released. He was later arrested and released by the police. He was tortured even after family members detained him. He later died in hospital.

As video of the incident spread, people began taking to the streets of Bogota, the capital of Colombia, on Wednesday afternoon. Shortly afterwards, an accused police station was set on fire. Nevertheless, protests and violence continued to spread. The violence and protests continued till Thursday morning. In addition to the capital, protests spread to Medellin, Perida, and Ibag. Police stations in these cities were also attacked.

Bogat Mayor Claudia Lopez called the police brutality unacceptable. He also condemned the violence in Bogot. In a video message on Thursday morning, he said, “The death of a civilian in police brutality yesterday caused pain due to protest and logistical reasons. But today only one or three people have died. Police rally in riot gear on Friday Hundreds of protesters were removed from the truck.

Colombia’s Defense Minister Carlos Holmes Trujillo later said that seven people had died and more than 150 civilians and police were injured across the country in the riots in Bogota on Thursday.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *