Angelique Kerber feels “relatively safe” in New York

New York (AP) – Angelique Kerber praised the organizers’ preparations during the Corona period for the start of the US Open.

“I have to say, I feel relatively safe here,” said the German number one on Monday shortly before the start of the Grand Slam tournament in New York. “The measures and security measures are very high. It was not an easy task for the organizers, but they are doing very well so far.”

The US Open takes place under strict hygiene and safety conditions. The players are housed together in hotels and have no access to the otherwise popular neighborhood of Manhattan. “It’s all unknown, even to us players. There’s never been anything like it. You have to get used to it first,” said Kerber, who won the 2016 title in New York and became number one in the tennis world.

For Kerber, it is the first appearance in Flushing Meadows since her knockout in the eighth finals at the Australian Open in January. After that, the 32-year-old had to take a break due to persistent thigh problems, after which the coronavirus pandemic paralyzed the entire tennis tour. Kerber has no high hopes for Monday’s first round against Ajla Tomljanovic from Australia. “It’s not an easy first round, but I don’t look at my opponent. I’m happy to be back on the field and play matches.”

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *