Melbourne (AP) – The organizers of the Australian Open hope to welcome around 30,000 tennis fans a day at the Melbourne Park facility by January 2021. Tournament boss Craig Tiley announced in an interview with the TV show “9News Melbourne” on Channel 9.

Only Australians will be allowed access to the first Grand Slam tournament of the new season. Foreign fans could not be welcomed due to international travel restrictions, Tiley said.

The Australian Open is scheduled for January 18 to 31, 2021. As recently as the US Open and from Sunday the French Open, players must be accommodated in a so-called bubble and are only allowed to commute between the facility and the hotel. “We will learn a lot from the French Open and have already learned a lot from the US Open. We will gain all this experience to organize the best Australian Open possible,” said Tiley.

According to the organizers’ plans, the players will so far come to Australia two weeks before the start of the tournament. The state of Victoria, in which Melbourne is located, has long been badly affected by the coronavirus pandemic. The situation has since improved.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *