Manchester (dpa) – After the missed football championship in England, Manchester City can continue to hope to defend the title in the FA Cup.

Coach Pep Guardiola’s team won 2-0 (1-0) against Newcastle United on Sunday and are now facing the record cup winner FC Arsenal in the semi-finals. The other semifinal is played by Manchester United and Chelsea FC. The matches will take place on July 18-19 at Wembley Stadium in London. The football season in England ends with the final on August 1.

Man City took the lead in Newcastle after a penalty from Kevin De Bruyne (37.) after Gabriel Jesus was pushed into the box by Fabian Schär. Raheem Sterling (68.) rose for the clearly superior Citizens, who are an unprecedented 23 points behind Liverpool in the Premier League after defeating Chelsea in the Premier League last Thursday.

Ninth in the league’s rankings, Arsenal reached the next round with a 2-1 (1-0) win over Sheffield United. In extra time, substitute Dani Ceballos (90. + 1) scored the winning goal shortly after David McGoldrick (87.) equalized. Pépé (25th) had previously taken the lead from Arsenal with a penalty. Sheffield was out of luck: two hits were denied by the video assistant due to an offside position.

Arsenal, with 13 titles record winner in the cup, took on the German international Mesut Özil, who was not in the selection due to back problems. Goalkeeper Bernd Leno is missing for several weeks due to an injury. Defender David Luiz also got injured in Sheffield. For Arsenal, which even threatens to miss the Europa League, the trophy is the last chance to save a wasted season.

In the cup match between Premier League table neighbors Leicester City (3rd place) and Chelsea (4th place), the blues was very narrow with 1: 0 (0: 0). “We were lucky today,” admitted trainer Frank Lampard, who showed a good hand. Halftime substitute Ross Barkley (63.) scored the winning goal for his team. From July, FC Chelsea is also the employer of the German international and former Leipzig player Timo Werner.

Manchester United were a bit happy on Saturday when they won 2: 1 (1: 1/0: 0) against Norwich City. After the leading goal for Man United by Odion Ighalo (51.), Todd Cantwell (75.) equalized for the team of German coach Daniel Farke, who had to decline the extension after a red card for Timm Klose (89.). Harry Maguire made the decision in the 118th minute.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *