There has long been speculation whether and for which racing team Sebastian Vettel will drive next season – now it is certain that he will drive for the British factory team Aston Martin.

Photo series with 20 photos

Sebastian Vettel continues his Formula 1 career after retirement from Ferrari in the new English Aston Martin team. The four-time world champion has signed a contract with Racing Point’s designated successor for 2021.

Racing Point announced this on Thursday shortly before the Grand Prix in Tuscany and ended months of speculation about the 33-year-old’s sporting future. In the future, Vettel will get the cockpit from Sergio Perez. The Mexican had announced his departure at the end of the year on Wednesday evening.

“New adventure for me”

Commenting on his new challenge, Vettel said: “I am delighted to finally share this exciting news about my future. I am extremely proud to be an Aston Martin driver in 2021. It is a new adventure for me with a real legendary carmaker. I was impressed with the results the team has achieved this year and I believe the future looks even brighter. Lawrence (Stroll) ‘s energy and dedication to the sport is inspiring and I believe we can put it together “I still have so much love for Formula 1 in me and my only motivation is to be at the front of the field. It will be a great privilege to take on Aston Martin.”

Rather than ending his career prematurely, he will continue in the motorsport premier class after six years at Ferrari. The veteran must leave the Scuderia at the end of 2020 without the long-awaited world title.

He tried in vain to emulate his childhood idol Michael Schumacher and now announces his move just before Ferrari’s 1000th Grand Prix in Italy on Sunday (3.10 p.m. / Chillreport live ticker). Rumors of the banding with the Silverstone team had recently persisted in the racing series environment.

Perez has to give way

They were fueled further when Perez himself announced he would be leaving the team after seven years. The 30-year-old from Guadalajara is actually said to have had a contract after the turn of the year. However, it was long believed that Perez would have to leave to make way for a pilot with a very big name from 2021: namely Vettel. “I can’t think of a better driver who could help us on our way into this new era,” said team principal Otmar Szafnauer.

Ferrari announced in mid-May that Vettel will be replaced from next year by Spaniard Carlos Sainz Junior. Since then, the 53-time Grand Prix winner, who has been waiting for a sense of achievement for nearly a year, has held talks about a possible new engagement. Early retirement was also a problem again and again. Long-time world champion Mercedes waved his driver duo Lewis Hamilton / Valtteri Bottas away, Red Bull relied entirely on Dutchman Max Verstappen and Renault preferred to bring back two-time world champion Fernando Alonso from Spain.

“Bring a winning mindset”

Vettel is now the sought-after top man for Aston Martin. The British want to attack the summit and rely fully on the experience and the continued hunger for victory of the German. Vettel started his extraordinary Formula 1 career in 2007 as a replacement driver in the BMW Sauber.

Otmar Szafnauer, CEO of the team, said in a statement, “Everyone at Silverstone is delighted to hear this news. Sebastian is a champion and has a winning mindset that matches our own ambitions for the future.”

In 2008 he was the youngest winner in history to cross the finish line in the losing Toro Rosso in the rain of Monza. In 2010 he became the youngest champion at Red Bull, winning the title in the following three years. But the high hopes for further triumphs after his switch to Ferrari in 2015 were not fulfilled.

Vettel was able to drive in the front again

At Aston Martin, unlike the lame Ferrari, he could compete for the front positions again this year in 2021. The past months have been a huge disappointment for Vettel. Not only did he not win or take a podium this year, in the SF1000 he had to fight for positions outside the points or, as recently at Monza, he didn’t even see the checkered flag due to a defect. With only 16 World Cup points, he is 13th overall and has no realistic chance of winning the title.

At Aston Martin, which will continue to work with Mercedes, everything should be different. Vettel will ride on the side of Lance Stroll there in the future. The son of Canadian billionaire and co-owner Lawrence Stroll has his place secure and will be more in the shadow of Vettel in the future. Most recently, however, the 21-year-old convinced on the track, finishing third at Monza.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *