New York (AP) – The US Open of tennis professionals for top favorite Novak Djokovic came to an end in a scandal. The Serbian number one in the world was disqualified for angrily hitting a ball after a lost service game and hitting a linesman.
Djokovic had not used three set balls when the score was 5: 4, 40: 0 against Spaniard Pablo Carreno Busta, after which he lost the serve for the first time to 5: 6. For minutes the Australian Open winner discussed on the net with the referee , but that didn’t change his unworthy end. Djokovic was unbeaten earlier this year.
After all the confusion due to a positive Corona case with the French Benoit Paire, the US Open is now also experiencing a very big scandal. “Of course that’s incredibly bitter. He was disqualified for a big mistake,” said tennis legend Boris Becker as a TV pundit at Eurosport. Becker has coached Djokovic for three years in the past.
A turbulent year continues for the Serbian. Djokovic initially dominated the scene and won the Australian Open. During the Corona break, he made negative headlines with his Adria Tour and was tested positive for the virus himself. Finally, he caused a stir with the creation of a new players’ union.
Alexander Zverev’s big chance for his second semifinal at a Grand Slam tournament this year and Angelique Kerber’s knockout of the last sixteen were completely pushed into the background. “I don’t know what to say. I’m a bit shocked to be honest,” Zverev said of the Djokovic incident.
The semi-finalist of the Australian Open, Zverev, had previously shown a sovereign performance and won the young Spanish outsider Alejandro Davidovich Fokina in a fast run 6: 2, 6: 2, 6: 1. “The first two sets were reasonable. good of me. I still have something I can work on, but I’m in the quarter finals, “said the number seven in the world.
Two days after battling for his third round against Frenchman Adrian Mannarino in the course of the Corona-Causa, the 23-year-old from Hamburg advanced calmly for the first time to the top eight round of the US Open. This makes the number seven in the world the first German tennis professional for men since Tommy Haas 2007.
Against 21-year-old Davidovich Fokina, number 99 in the world and beaten at the end with a bandaged ankle, Zverev remained in the tournament for the first time without losing a set. Zverev will also be the favorite against Croatian Borna Coric or Australian Jordan Thompson. And since Djokovic is also gone in his half of the tournament, the chances of the German number one on the first Grand Slam title suddenly seem high.
Kerber, meanwhile, looked calm after her long and hopeless performance at 1: 6, 4: 6 against American Jennifer Brady and quickly turned her gaze to the French Open, which begins September 27. “I don’t have much time to switch to sand, but I have to use the time well,” said the 32-year-old from Kiel. “It was good that I felt competitive again. Paris is again the destination I have.”
The left-hander couldn’t take advantage of the fact that the women’s table had been thinned by the corona for her first quarter-final at a Grand Slam tournament since winning Wimbledon two years ago. After winning the first three games with confidence, she was already considered a favorite by some.
“I gave everything on the field, she played a really good game,” said the 32-year-old. “I had a few opportunities that I couldn’t take advantage of. Still, I have to say I left the best of what I could on the field.” After the long hiatus in the tournament, it was a “good start”.
The 2016 winner from New York fought far too late in the game against Brady, who was in 28th place. The first set was already gone after 22 minutes. The world ranking 23. fails under pressure from the US and its weak service. In the more balanced second round, the German tennis mound at 2: 3 hid her face under a towel from her point of view, Brady returned after a treatment break with a bandaged left thigh. But the turnaround didn’t come, even after Kerber defended a match point at 3: 5.
“Angie couldn’t hold back from the start,” said Eurosport’s German tennis director Barbara Rittner, but also said, “It’s just nice that she’s back. She’s generally been selling well.”
Kerber had not played any games for the US Open for months and decided to travel to New York only shortly. Due to the corona rules, she was not yet sure what to expect for her flight home to Poland. “I feel safe, so it was a good decision in the end,” Kerber said.