Paris (AP) – An initial investigation into the injured Brazilian soccer star Neymar has, according to his club Paris Saint-Germain, yielded a reassuring result.

The French champion drew this conclusion in a statement on Monday and announced a further investigation within 48 hours. Neymar sustained the injury to his left ankle on Sunday evening in the 1-0 defeat against Olympique Lyon. How long the attacking player will be and whether he will be missing in the top match next Sunday at leader Lille remained open. PSG received FC Lorient earlier on Wednesday.

“I have a lot of experience, it is better to wait for the tests”, said PSG coach Thomas Tuchel after the match against Lyon. Thiago Mendes hit Neymar so hard in the ankle during long injury time that the 28-year-old had to be taken off the field with a stretcher. Mendes was shown the red card for his foul. The 28-year-old Brazilian apologized on Monday via Instagram for the violation on his fellow countryman. He hoped nothing worse had happened.

Tuchel is also concerned about world champion Kylian Mbappé, who he only filled in in the second half. That happened on the advice of a doctor, said the former trainer of Mainz and Dortmund. The French attacker was unable to play for more than 25 minutes. “It was 30 minutes then and that was already too much,” said Tuchel. “He was in a red zone and risked injury.”

Overall, Tuchel was disappointed with the defeat and the level. PSG is now one point behind ex-champions Lille and Lyon with the same points in the French league. “I saw a very, very tired team,” said Tuchel, admitting that he had not seen this in advance. Otherwise he would have made three or four changes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *