More than 300 students abducted last week have been released from a school in northwestern Nigeria. Local officials have confirmed this information. A spokesman for the governor of the state of Catsina said 344 students were released and were in good health. However, some students are still with the attackers. The British media BBC reported this.
On Friday night at local time, automatic gunmen raided motorcycles at a government science secondary school in Kakara district in Katsina province, northwestern Nigeria. Several students fled the police-built resistance nearby forests at the scene. However, more than three hundred students are missing. The Islamic terrorist group Boko Haram claimed responsibility for the school attack. Several students were seen in their published video footage.
In a statement, State Governor’s spokesman Abdul LaBaran said the rescued students were transported to the regional capital, Cayman City. Soon they will be reunited with the family.
The spokesman said that the video released by Boko Haram was reliable. But the person who gave the message as the leader of the group is fake. No kidnapped students were killed.
Officials said the number of students abducted was less than the locals claimed after the attack.
Governor Aminu Bello Masari said, “We have saved most of the students.” But not everyone.