More than 300 students are still missing after a gunman attacked a secondary school in a northwestern Nigerian city on Friday. Catsina state officials released the information on Sunday. According to a report by Qatar-based Al Jazeera.

On Friday, gunmen attacked a motorcycle at a government boys’ science school. At that time he had a fierce shelling with the security forces. Hundreds of students left school and fled to the nearby forest. The residential school has a total of 639 students.

“We are yet to find 333 students,” said Katsina State Governor Aminu Masari. The students who were hiding in the forest at the time of the attack have started coming out. It was not immediately clear whether they were hiding or fleeing the attackers.

Masari said efforts were being made to find out the exact number of students abducted.

Meanwhile, the students’ parents and their family members gathered at the school on Sunday. He called upon the authorities to ensure the safety of the missing students.

Murja Mohammed, the guardian of a missing student, said, “If the government does not cooperate with us, we have no power to save the children.”

Nigerian social media is trending the hashtag launched in the wake of Sunday’s attack. Initially 800 students were missing.

The country’s defense minister, Major General Bashir Sali-Magash, said that the army would launch a campaign to arrest the attackers and protect the students from any harm.

No group claimed responsibility for the attack. The region is far from the area where Boko Haram operates terrorist groups. The group has been fighting a strict Islamic law enforcement since 2009. In 2016, Boko Haram kidnapped more than 100 girls. Earlier in 2014, he also abducted over 260 girls from the Chibak region.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *