Armed men raided a school in northern Nigeria and kidnapped hundreds of boys. Schoolchildren had already been kidnapped in the region when Islamists admitted the crime.
After an attack by gunmen at a school in northern Nigeria, 333 apparently kidnapped schoolboys are missing. That’s what the governor of the Katsina region, Minu Masari, said on Sunday after a meeting with security forces. The target of the attack on Friday was the public high school in the city of Kankara, which has a total of 839 students.
In the attack, the unknown attackers shot around with automatic weapons, police spokesman Gambo Isah said last weekend. Eyewitnesses reported to the German news agency that numerous children had been kidnapped. At first, no one confessed to the act.
Six years ago, 276 girls were kidnapped
Defense Minister and Major General Bashir Salihi-Magash assured the military would track down the perpetrators and free the schoolboys. You already have information about their whereabouts.
In 2014, the kidnapping of 276 schoolgirls in northern Nigeria by the Islamist group Boko Haram caused a worldwide sensation. About 100 of them are still missing. At first it was unclear who was behind the crime in the current case. Initial investigations also indicate that criminals want to extort ransom.
“We want our children back”
The newspaper “Punch” reported on Sunday about protests in Katsina, which were also directed against the government. Protesters had shouted “We want our children back” and “We want safety in Kankara”.
The UNICEF Children’s Fund Regional Director for West and Central Africa, Marie-Pierre Poirier, condemned the kidnapping and called for the “immediate and unconditional release of all children and their return to their families”. UNICEF is deeply concerned about the case, which further demonstrates the widespread serious violation of children’s rights in Northern Nigeria. In a statement, he paid tribute to the Nigerian government’s efforts to bring the missing children home safely.