The World Cup in Egypt actually starts in mid-January for the German national handball team. But coach Alfred Gislason can hardly put together a team – more and more players are withdrawing.

The flood of rejections for national coach Alfred Gislason continues: after Patrick Wiencek, the handball players Finn Lemke (MT Melsungen), Steffen Weinhold and Hendrik Pekeler (both THW Kiel) will voluntarily participate in the World Cup in Egypt (13th to 13th) due to the corona pandemic January 31, 2021). The German Handball Federation (DHB) announced this on Tuesday-evening.

“Sportingly, the further cancellations by Finn Lemke, Steffen Weinhold and Hendrik Pekeler are painful. They all explained their motives to me in a personal conversation. I understand that, but this also gives a clear picture of our further work”, says Gislason. which now has to reform its inner block, among other things.

“As a family man it worries me”

Just like Wiencek last week, the trio that belonged to the European Championship team from 2016 gave family reasons for their decision. “The general development of the corona pandemic with the renewed hard lockdown worries me as a family man, and I cannot leave my wife and daughters alone for more than four weeks during this period,” said 29-year-old Kiel cyclist Pekeler.

Weinhold and Lemke have made similar statements. “I really haven’t made this personal decision easy for myself. But since the harsh incarceration, caring for my own children has not been an easy task, especially in families where both parents work,” said Weinhold. Defense specialist Lemke emphasized: “I struggled with myself for a long time, but with a heavy heart considering my family, I decided against a possible World Cup participation in the current situation.

“Will plan with other players”

In addition to the quartet, which gave up their own pieces, Tim Suton and Franz Semper (both cruciate ligament fractures) and left-handed Fabian Wiede (consequences of a shoulder injury) will not be present at Gislason’s first tournament as DHB coach.

“We will now make plans with other players and continue to do everything we can to get the best possible result at the World Cup in Egypt. I am pragmatic: every loss is also an opportunity,” said Gislason, who announced his 20-man team on Monday. nominated. .

One thought on “National coach Alfred Gislason gets a deluge of World Cup cancellations”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *