Barcelona (AP) – Lionel Messi stays with FC Barcelona. The six-time world footballer has failed with his plan to leave the club this summer before his contract expires.
Messi confirmed in an interview with goal.com on Friday that he would also play for Barça next season. He can leave the club for free in a year.
Club chairman Josep Bartomeu had made it clear to him that he could only have changed if the transfer clause had been activated in the contract, the 33-year-old said. According to media reports, this amounts to 700 million euros. “And that’s impossible,” said Messi.
“The other option,” Messi said in an interview, “was that a judge would find out. But I would never go to court against Barça because it’s the club I love that has given me everything since I came here It’s the club of my life. “
Messi had informed those responsible by registered letter on August 25 that he wanted to leave the club. Messi relied on a clause in his contract that would allow him to unilaterally end the contract and even switch to a free transfer. However, the deadline had already passed by this point. His contract will run until the end of June 2021.
The club made it clear from the start that they did not want to let go of the Argentinian superstar. He could only have changed for the fixed transfer fee. As the best candidate, Manchester City was exchanged with former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola.
Messi had not spoken out since the disastrous 8-2 in the Champions League quarter-finals against Bayern on August 14. His father and manager Jorge Messi (62) conducted the discussions with the club officials. There was no rapprochement at a meeting with Bartomeu on Wednesday.
Messi has been playing for FC Barcelona since 2000. With the Catalans, he won the Champions League four times and the Spanish championship ten times. Last season FC Barcelona remained untitled. According to media reports, new coach Ronald Koeman has already announced that he will no longer grant Messi the previous privileges.