Dortmund (dpa) – The months of speculation about Jadon Sancho’s future have come to an end for now. Right at the start of the training camp in Switzerland, Borussia Dortmund created clarity with an unexpectedly clear statement.
“We are planning with Jadon. He will play for BVB next season. This decision is final”, said the cheerful sports director Michael Zorc during the first session in the chic spa town of Bad Ragaz.
The transfer of the 20-year-old England international to Manchester United, which was recently rumored in various media, is therefore canceled. Concerned that last season’s Bundesliga top scorer could argue with a stay in Dortmund and follow the example of former BVB professionals like Ousmane Dembélé and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and hit away, Zorc does not cherish: ‘This decision will be taken by the player and of course also respected for his freedom of choice. “
Not without pride and almost casually, Zorc revealed that last year’s contract with the exceptional talent was extended by one year until 2023. The remuneration was “adjusted to Jadon’s performance development”.
Manchester United apparently shunned the risk of investing the € 120 million transfer fee that BVB asked for in difficult Corona times. According to Zorc’s clear statement, the excitement of the past few weeks until the beginning of October should be over for second place in the Bundesliga, despite the long transition period this year.
Sancho had caused a stir on Saturday with a private trip to London, sparking new rumors of change. But BVB was aware of this and had approved similar trips to their families for all professionals. Sancho was reportedly at a rapper party with friends, as seen in a video on social media. Corona rules and hygiene measures were apparently not ignored. “It is normal and okay for players to revisit their home country before a training camp if it is not a risk area. That applies to everyone and of course also to Jadon,” said BVB media director Sascha Fligge of the short trip.
But the fact that Sancho was there when Borussia left for Switzerland was taken as an indication that he was staying with BVB. According to reports, the top of the association set the day of departure as the deadline for a possible change. “To be fair, we have been amazed at some of the reports in the past few weeks and – as you may have noticed – we were very relaxed,” Zorc told the media.
Only the long-injured veterans Marco Reus and Marcel Schmelzer are missing in Switzerland. They should continue their rehabilitation measures in Dortmund so that they can get in touch with the team as soon as possible. Repairers Mats Hummels and Mahmoud Dahoud were present at the departure. The duo is expected to start team training next week.