The death toll has risen after the massive earthquake in the Aegean Sea. 51 people died and more than 800 were injured. It is difficult for the evacuees to return to their homes.
Two days after the earthquake in the Aegean Sea, the death toll in western Turkey rose to 51, Turkish Vice President Fuat Oktay said in Izmir on Sunday. Of the more than 800 injured, about 200 are still being treated, Turkish disaster relief agency Afad said. There are still aftershocks. Many people in the Turkish coastal city of Izmir were unable to return to their homes for the second night in a row – 1,800 tents had been erected, according to Afad information.
Especially Izmir hit
Izmir was particularly badly hit by the earthquake. Four buildings had completely collapsed. The rescue work continued on Sunday. The hope of finding survivors faded every hour.
The first earthquake on Friday afternoon had a magnitude of 6.6, according to the Turkish Disaster Bureau. The center was therefore in the Aegean Sea off the Turkish province of Izmir. The USGS, which is responsible for earthquakes, even rated the magnitude of the earthquake as 7. Two people died on the Greek island of Samos.
The total number of fatalities so far is 53.