The situation in Vienna is confusing after a terrorist attack in the city center. Special forces are looking for other perpetrators. This is known so far about the attack.
Photo series with 10 photos
After a terrorist attack in the center of Vienna on Monday evening, a large-scale police operation continues. An overview of what is known so far:
- The police have confirmed it at least six crime scenes in the center of Vienna that are close to each other. Home Secretary Karl Nehammer was the first to say so around 8 pm at a synagogue in Seitenstettengasse was shot dead.
- In general, the emergency services report 15 injured, including seven seriously injured, that are treated in hospitals. Gunshot wounds were treated, but there was also a stab wound.
- Five people have died so far: four Passers-by were killed in the attack, including two women and two men. Moreover, it was one of the murderers of the Ruprechtskirche was shot by the police.
- The alleged murderer was murdered, according to Mayor Ludwig heavily armed. Police confirmed an assault rifle and pistol. In addition, the man was wearing an explosives belt, which later turned out to be a dummy.
- According to the current state of knowledge possibly other perpetrators on the run. However, this is not certain, said Home Secretary Nehammer. About 1,000 civil servants are on duty.
- The murdered bomber’s apartment was searched. There were also arrests, reports the Austrian news agency APA.
- It is based on an Islamist motif. Interior Minister Nehammer spoke in the morning about clear indications that the “radicalized perpetrator felt a special bond with the Islamic State”. An anti-Semitic background could not be ruled out given the crime scene, Kurz said in view of the location of the first shots at a synagogue. The synagogue was already closed at the time of the attack.
- The Vienna police asked the Austrian armed forces for support. The soldiers took over property protection in Vienna so that the police officers can focus on the search for other perpetrators.
- The entire center of the Austrian capital was largely cordoned off at night. The authorities called on citizens to stay at home and also to avoid downtown on Tuesday. The students would not have to go to school if they or their parents did not want to.